We all need the other side of the story
In a world where religion is now instantly given a face, a skin colour, a style of dress and a country of origin, I need to find meaning. The who, the how, the why. Especially as relates to Muslims and terrorism and how Allah or God or Buddha fit in now, in this day and age. When my child is just 18 and I wonder where the world of religion is taking us.
This website is a clarification of sorts, a way for other ethnicities and religions to read a wealth of information. Writings and conversations by and with Muslims on their way of life, their beliefs. Categories are fairly extensive, covering such topics as the Quran, the Bible, history, polemic discussions and more.
We have fought wars in the name of a diety bearing different names, in accordance with the interpretions of God by different religions, since almost the dawn of time. I cannot believe that after all these thousands of years, different factions still dispute the fact that we all believe in something higher than ourselves. Something to which we all aspire: a higher state of being, clarity, understanding of the meaning of our lives, serenity, acceptance. We believe in a creator and a set of rules for living, and also an afterlife, whatever form that might take.
"Bismika Allahuma" means "In Your Name, O God" in Arabic.
The dark blue sky is the sky over all of our heads; the only difference is the dome on the mosque. It could be so easily replaced by the cross on the chapel.
How terribly far we are from our goal of understanding each other.
Islam has been touted as a religion of peace above all. I don't think any old, organized religions are inherently peaceful, because religion has always been about power -- land, money, water, geography, oil, whatever.
I have never bought into any religion, really. All of them are guilty of using their gods for their own purposes.
Islam is meant to be a religion of peace. I checked out the bismikaallahuma site to see how Muslims feel, what they think about, how they respond to the anti-Islam polemic. In this day and age, I firmly believe in reading all sides of the story. It is up to us all to be informed, to see both sides of the coin. Muslims do have a story to tell, and it is certainly not all about terrorism and martyrdom and sticks of dynamite around the waists of schoolgirls.
We need to be informed in order to understand who feels they have God's full blessing in a world where all dieties -- even Zeus, who, believe it or not, actually still has worshippers to this day -- have a role to play.
Go to bismikaallahuma and peruse.
This is a sponsored post.



1 Comment:
Very, very well said. If people would just open up the periphery of their sight, they might understand much better people who are different than themselves. And, as you said, read all sides; get to know the total equation, not just the ugly parts the media and hate-mongers choose to show us.
Now, about Hillary ... *squirm* ... there's just something about that woman I cannot stand. She's as shady as the day is long, and can schmooze with the best of 'em. She knows exactly what to say to make herself sound better than the second coming. But then, most politicians do, which is why I don't trust any of 'em as far as I can throw 'em, which, with my back, ain't too damn far! LOL Just give me Rudy and I'll be a happy camper. ;)
Post a Comment