Pet-food recall building steam
Further to my post last Sunday...
The number of self-reported (as opposed to "official") pet deaths is on the rise since Menu Foods announced its recall of wet cat and dog food last Friday.
According to Pet Connection Blog, today's statistics are as follows:
From the PetConnection.com database. 6 a.m. PT:
Total reports of sick or dead pets: 1529
Deceased pets: 769
Of those:
Cats, deceased: 460
Dogs, deceased: 309
Says the writer, "in addition to hundreds of anecdotal reports from pet-lovers that were flooding the Internet, we became aware that veterinarians were alarmed. Nearly every veterinary practice we know has a pet affected by this."
Pet Connection has a database for use by American pet owners whose animals have fallen sick or died. The site also has a whack of useful links you can check out.
Our neighbour Christine is now feeding her dog homemade food. Rom is giving her cat salmon, tuna, bacon, beef, pork and whatever else is happily accepted. (The cat may never eat commercial pet food again...) Fortunately, my cats live solely on Hill's Science Diet dry food and very occasional table scraps.
Here's a link to a site that lists recipes for cats and dogs. It can't be any harder than cooking for a teenager, can it ?



5 Comment:
The whole thing is really sad. As soon as I heard, I checked all my kitty foods to see if they were on the list. Thankfully none were.
This scares the hell out of me, because I was giving Emerson "bits and gravy" to nurture his heart pill and entice eating the dry food.
Only one article I saw listed the exact factory stamps being recalled, and my food stash were not in that group.
Coincidentally, took him for his heart check today and discussed it with a vet cardiologist. Watch for signs of renal failure: excessive thirst, change in behavior. I think my boy is clear by luck, but wow. This is really terrible.
OMG. I had no idea it was that bad. Very scary! Thanks for the info!
Mark, I know that you posted a recall notice on your website. Good man. :)
Our spoiled little felines are Science Diet kitties too.....and we're happy for that....
Post a Comment