Friday, January 26, 2007

Food for thought

January is Alzheimer's Awareness month. I didn't forget; I just didn't know.

An estimated 290,000 Canadians over the age of 65 have the disease, according to the Alzheimer Society of Canada. While Alzheimer's disease is normally acquired later in life, more and more research is indicating that foods eaten on a daily basis can have a protective effect on maintaining overall brain health.

Vitamins, nutrients, food combinations and meal timing can all influence cognitive function and brain health, according to current research, which says the following foods and eating habits have been shown to boost brain health.

Brain food: read more here! There is some interesting info on the importance of timing meals and the Mediterranean diet.

Department of Irony

Two separate stories found this morning:

--The European Union's executive commission rejected appeals Friday for an EU-wide ban on the import of seal fur products to force the closure of Canada's annual seal hunt.

--Coast Guard and military crews were combing part of White Bay, on Newfoundland's northeast coast, early Friday, looking for three overdue sealers.

Naturally, I had to find a picture:


Found at the Seal Conservation Society. Photo: Salko de Wolf, Ecomare

8 Comment:

Anonymous said...

oooh that is irony isn't it?!

Speaking of long blog entries....I had to go take a pee break while catching up!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've always considered the annual seal hunt to be barbaric. I wish so much the powers that be could finally find a way to stop it.

I'm going to go this instant and read about the brain food. Goodness knows I need all I can get!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I remember as a kid always hearing, "Fish is brain food!" I guess it's true!

lattégirl said...

And lima beans. Can't forget the horrid lima beans we were forced to eat. And liver. Overcooked liver. Made me smart as a whip, it did.

lattégirl said...

Chunks: That's because you're ADD.

Anonymous said...

Terry, I'm one of your regular readers and you can probably tell who I am from my IP but I am choosing to pussy out and go anon for this; I just didn't want to cause any kind of flame war.

I'm not going to say that everything about the seal hunt is 100% right, but I am going to say that after doing quite a bit of research (I used to be so very much against seal hunting) I have learned that it's not 100% wrong, either.

Anonymous said...

OMG, lima beans and liver! Two of the most horrid foods ever! *gag* No wonder my brain needs so much help - I never ate the right stuff! LOL

lattégirl said...

Dear Anon,

I most certainly do not feel flamed, but I also am way too lazy to look up IP addresses. I don't even subscribe to a stats site, so there you go. I just write and post it.

I have no problem with sealing, fundamentally; I almost never express a "controverial" opinion about anything radiating beyond a 100 foot perimeter of my personal self.

I was just pointing out the irony of the headlines, which appeared side by side on my start-up page, which is Google.

I love Google. There's an opinion for ya!

I also love regular readers. So please feel free to comment as Anon or any way you want. :)