Friday, November 03, 2006

Books, bugs, and fashion



30 seconds after I snapped this, Mikey ate him.
(Note: he wasn't, like, flying through the air; he was crawling across the picture window inside my office. I angled the camera so I'd get the sky behind him.)


Friday fashion
This week, not of my own invention


Selling Literature to Go With Your Lifestyle

By JULIE BOSMAN
Published: November 2, 2006

Most customers at the Anthropologie store in SoHo come for the delicately woven knits and the ultrafeminine floral dresses. But these days at least some are coming for the books.




Angel Franco/The New York Times

Last Sunday the merchandise and books were coordinated with near-perfect precision. Resting beside a black sweater ($68) and a jet-black skirt with orange embellishments ($118) were copies of Annie Leibovitz’s “A Photographer’s Life: 1990-2005,” big and black and gleaming, for $75. A pop-up book called “One Red Dot” echoed a display of polka-dotted canvas sneakers, while another title, “The Persistence of Yellow,” perfectly matched a strategically positioned yellow knit sweater.

Books are turning up in the oddest places these days.

With book sales sagging — down 2.6 percent as of August over the same period last year, according to the Association of American Publishers — publishers are pushing their books into butcher shops, carwashes, cookware stores, cheese shops, even chi-chi clothing boutiques where high-end literary titles are used to amplify the elegant lifestyle they are attempting to project.
What began as a trickle of cookbooks in kitchen shops and do-it-yourself titles in hardware stores has become, in recent months, the fastest growing component in many major publishers’ retail strategies.

“It’s a way for the book business to stay alive,” said Abby Hoffman, the vice president of sales and marketing for Chronicle Books in San Francisco, which sells most of its 350 offbeat titles each year to places like high-end grocery stores, children’s clothing stores and wineries.
“Any place that sells merchandise is a place to sell books.”

5 Comment:

StaceyG said...

As an aside:

If you ever need to kill time for 90 minutes, you can watch "The Secret" for $5 (US) at www.thesecret.tv. I have to admit it was probably the most life-changing 90 minutes that I've experienced so far. (And I don't get royalties for the plug, either!)

lattégirl said...

Oooh. Sounds cool, but if it involves needing a credit card (which I don`t have) or downloading something (we have country-dialup here until next Tuesday) chances are slim, for the moment, of me being able to see it.

Also as an aside: one of the first things I noticed in your sidebar was What The Bleep Do We Know?

Seen it twice, was enchanted by it, sent a copy to my mother, who was... almost speechless with marvel... cool. :)

Anonymous said...

Superb photo of ugly bug....

Anonymous said...

I like the store compsite...very inviting....

StaceyG said...

Have you seen What the Bleep: Down the Rabbit Hole? That one blows my MIND!