A good lesson
Dear Christine over at infinitepink posted this a couple of days ago. I know a couple of people who are sure to appreciate it. Here is part of her introduction:
Its message is simple, but sometimes it’s extremely hard to remember when you are in the middle of bad situations or you’re dealing with people who are toxic.
Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
by Portia Nelson
I. I walk down the street.
There’s a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost…..I am helpless;
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.
II. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in the same place;
But it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.
III. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in….it’s a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.
IV. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.
V. I walk down a different street.



8 Comment:
Oh yeah - been there, still doing that.
Ah... yes. They left out the part about the bus, but that doesn't matter - it's all the same. Thanks for posting this.
There's a shorter "version" of sorts to this - "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." I like the one you posted better though because it gives an alternative action -although all too often we become so ingrained that we don't view anything as being an alternative anyway.
I know there's more than just one lesson in there for me. I'll read it as many times as it takes to recognize them all. This was very timely for me. Thanks for sharing it with us.
I'm pleased that you all liked it as much as I did!
Wow, that brings back memories! Thanks for posting it- I'd forgotten all about it.
and then what happens?
Then you learn your lesson and don't fall into the same trap again.
Post a Comment