Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Why menopause can be good

Birth control pills out of stock, women out of luck
Last Updated: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:53 PM AT
CBC News

Two popular brands of birth control pills are in short supply across Canada, leaving many women scrambling to fill their prescriptions.


The pills — under the Alesse and Triphasil names — are made by the U.S. company Wyeth Pharmaceuticals. The company temporarily stopped production of the two brands in August, which means some pharmacies have run out, making refills almost impossible to get.




Baby boom, anyone?

4 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Tragedy.

Anonymous said...

hoo! How many babies are gonna be born 9 months from now!

Did they say why the company stopped producing them?

Kate said...

Not to crush all the fun speculation about the possible ENORMOUS population boom in Canada, but do these women not know about generic equivalents? Or because you have socialized medicine in Canada (MY ENVY WOULD MAKE ME HATE YOU ALL IF I WERE NOT SO FOND OF CANADA – IN FACT I’D LAUNCH INTO A STIRRING RENDITION OF OH, CANADA THIS VERY MINUTE BUT I HAVE A BIT OF A THROAT THING GOING ON – NOW IF THAT’S NOT A STUPID SINGER BULLSHIT EXCUSE I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS) do you always get the best most fresh and original drugs, not cheap imitations?

When I started on birth control pills approximately five hundred years ago (GOD – that throws us back to B.C.E. if we reckon the time in Canadian…) I was given Triphasil (and it was for wretched periods every two seconds – yes, I’m talking menstruation here – I wasn’t getting any then, either). During the subsequent years I would get letters from my insurance company saying, “We are changing your prescription to [insert name of generic equivalent here] and we promise that it’s the same thing. In fact, we pinkie swear.”

Mind you, though I do believe that the ingredients and dosages have been, indeed, the same, the packaging over the years and the colours of the pills for the various “cycle” stages have changed DRASTICALLY. Triphasil was in a rectangular box with the pills in an orderly calendar-like fashion (if I remember correctly). At several points I’ve had pills that come in that stupid wheel (what – were we getting all maudlin and/or “retro-cool” with our BCP packaging? Like birth control pills should somehow emulate the Wheel of Fortune…).

In recent years, it’s gone back to the rectangular calendar-like iteration. Thank GOD. Though I must admit to missing ONE unique feature of the “generic equivalent” I was getting before I switched insurance companies. They came with these little fuzzy pink cases (fuzzy like jackalope fuzz…) for each box of pills. Mind you, I never USED the cases, but I got a kick out of their mere existence.

Currently on some generic BCP whose name I cannot even remember,
Crazy Kate of Le Monde de Kate du Fromage

lattégirl said...

Approximately 12.5 Canadian women (14.00 US) gave birth in the time it took me to read and publish Kate's comment.